Tuesday 24 November 2020

'I hate growing old......'

So many lovely people that I know and don't know have made this comment to me, including my Mum. Since I met Jesus I have always been challenged about how I speak about situations, I haven't always talked right but I am becoming more aware. 

When I worked with Cardiac outpatients who had usually had a heart attack and were young, we always did one session about how they spoke about their heart, their life and their future.



If you say 'I am terrified I am going to have another attack' you become more fearful. Whereas if you say 'my heart is getting stronger each day as I exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle'. You can help your mind to be more positive just speaking this truth. Proverbs 18:21 'Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who loves its use will eat its fruit' As one commentary says 'So those who enjoy talking, indulging in it, must "eat" its fruit, whether good or bad...... it means accepting the consequences of loving to talk.'

Growing old can be such a blessing, we have excuses for our bad, childish behaviour, we can make people happy by joining with us to laugh, even at ourselves. Last week I put a white load in my washing machine and after about 10 minutes I heard a banging noise in the machine went to check and saw my mobile phone smiling out of the door at me. It took me about another 10 minutes to work out how to open the machine when it is full, even thinking I would phone a friend but realised all my numbers are on the phone. But I remembered my emergency response is 'Praise Him', sung or shouted. So I just kept thanking my wonderful Father for my working phone. After drying it off taking the cover off and receiving the drips out of the orifices it came up with my great screen saver, Dave. I was more than thankful to see my mustard seed faith rewarded. So many got a laugh at my story.

Even when we are telling a story and forgotten the punch line or even worse a joke, why say 'Oh my mind is so slow/ forgetful or even worse, I am so stupid' We used to forget things when we were pregnant and say 'I have water on the brain' or when we were mega stressed at work. 


Let us grow a generation of joy full seniors who love life, have a fantastic listening ear and a heart full of praise, after all on the law of averages we are closer to heaven than the 'young' people around us. Therefore we have so much to be thankful for. Let us use everyday to tell EVERYONE about Almighty, All knowing, All powerful Jesus. All He has done for us recently, even if it is just we are dressed and walked across the room without falling. 

Then let us really work at storing up treasure in eternity. We can't take any of our 'stuff' with us but we can take people, and we can send prayers ahead. So while we are exciting everyone around us with the love of Jesus let us tell them what we have to be so thankful for today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment